Thursday, December 7, 2017

Vintage Ornaments - Shiny Brite, Indents, Lanterns

Like most other vintage Christmas things, I am obsessed with ornaments!! I started collecting vintage ornaments in 2003, at just 23, and have amassed a nice little collection in the 14 years since then. 


It wasn't until 2008 that I really started decorating my trees (yes, plural) with vintage ornaments. That year I bought my first white tree for my then minty blue office. My office was all pastel pink and green and blue and the white tree with the Shiny Brite ornaments just seemed to work. I instantly fell IN LOVE!! 



When I moved into the first of 2 farmhouses in 2013, I decided to decorate the "main" tree in all vintage ornaments too. Up until that point, my main tree had always been more formal -- ornaments that matched the decor and color scheme of the room. But that Christmas I decided that a colorful tree filled with vintage ornaments would be perfect for a 100+ year old farmhouse. 


Each year since, I've decorated my main tree in hundreds of Shiny Brites and other special ornaments from places like West Germany and Poland, adding the indents and lanterns last so that they'd have prominent spots on the tips of the branches. 

I put up my aqua tree in my dining room and fill it with pale pink and mint green and Robin's egg blue balls, then fill in with the older, delicate special ornaments. Each year I find a couple of new-to-me ornaments that I simply can't live without. 


I don't have the space to put up enough trees to display all of my vintage ornament collection, but they're tucked safely away in storage tubs for my "someday" house which will have a couple thousand square feet and plenty of rooms for more trees. For now, I enjoy the 2 full size trees and the hundreds of ornaments that are on display for 8 weeks every year. 


This picture shows the new-to-me ornaments I've recently acquired that I'm hanging on the living room tree this week. I am totally in love with those pinecones and tear drop shaped ornaments!! 

What's your favorite ornament on your tree? 




No comments:

Post a Comment